Our Church

Immaculate Heart Of Mary Parish – Riverview

Immaculate Heart of Mary Church

5 Fatima Drive, Riverview, NB.
Phone (506) 386-6178
Fax (506) 387-4165
Email:immaculateheartofmary@blessedelizabeth.org

The Immaculate Heart of Mary Church is part of the Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity Parish which is comprised of four Churches: Holy Family Church in Moncton, NB., Holy Ghost Church in Riverside Albert, NB.,  Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Riverview, NB. and St. Jude’s Church in Salisbury, N.B.

The Churches in the Parish have in common their proximity to the Petitcodiac River, and are directed by a single Pastoral Ministry Team as well as a Regional Pastoral Council.

Mass Schedule

Sundays  @ 10:30 am

Wednesdays @ 9:00 am

History of Immaculate Heart of Mary Church

The growth of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish parallels the growth of its home community of Riverview. The needs of local Catholic families were being met in a variety of ways in the 1950’s.

Beginning in 1953, a small group of parents explored ways to unite the families of Riverview, Gunningsville, Bridgedale and other areas of Albert County’s Coverdale Parish. Sunday School was taught in the basement of a Riverview school.

Beginning in November 1955, Mass was celebrated in the library of the present Riverview Junior High School, later moving to the school’s auditorium to support growing numbers. This church community became a distinct parish a few years later and Father Leo Hynes was our first pastor.

On November 15, 1959, Mass was celebrated for the first time in the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, built on a high plot of land on Fatima Drive overlooking the Riverview area.

The church was expanded in the 1970’s to accommodate the rapid population growth in Riverview. Seating capacity was increased to 450, and more space was created in the children’s room. Still, it wasn’t enough; in 1987 it was determined that a larger church was needed.

Our present Immaculate Heart of Mary Church was completed in the spring of 1992. The Archbishop of Moncton, the Most Reverend Donat Chiasson, dedicated the Church in a joyful celebration on Sunday, May 10th of that year.

There is a seating capacity of 700 in the main worship area. There are several meeting rooms for church activities, and the parish offices are located here. The design is beautiful, inspiring and unique. It incorporates wood, masonry and steel, the simplicity of materials and the openness evoking a feeling of being part of nature.

The former church building has been converted into a spacious parish hall. In 2003 it was renamed the Dan Bohan Family Centre in honor of a former pastor. It is well used by the many groups within the parish as well as by many community organizations.

Today, the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church enriches the life journey of 900 to 1,000 families.

Our story is deeply rooted in a love of faith and a longing for spiritual growth.